FW: Confirmation of Policy Adjustment for Sales Comissions ⭐ drugs

Subject: Confirmation of Policy Adjustment for Sales Comissions
To: kmattox {at} amerisourcebergen.com
From: Rich Jones <rich {at} pubmail.io>
On: Nov. 4, 2017, 6:30 p.m.

Hi Keri, my name is Rich Jones, I'm a reporter looking for confirmation that AmerisourceBergen has recently adopted a change in policy with regards to commissions given to salespeople - specifically that commissions will no longer be given for opioid drugs.

Can you confirm that a) commissions were paid out for these opioid sales previously and that b) these commissions will no longer be paid out?

I'd particularly appreciate a response by the end of Monday.

Thanks very much,
Rich Jones

To: rich {at} pubmail.io
From: "Weissman, Gabriel" <GWeissman {at} amerisourcebergen.com>
On: Nov. 6, 2017, 8:14 a.m.

Thanks for your question, Rich.

We have never provided commissions to AmerisourceBergen Drug Company sales associates specifically for the sale of opioid-based medicines. There are metrics that provide compensation based on the collective volume of all medications we distribute (which is nearly all medicines available in the US including medications for high blood pressure, cholesterol management, cancer therapies, etc) and we recently made a change to to remove opioid-based products, which account for a very small fraction of our revenue, from those calculations.

Pharmacies decide what products and the quantities they must stock to have the right therapies available when a patient comes in with a prescription from a health care provider. Keeping a limited volume of product is best as pharmacies must manage their cash flow in line with the reimbursement cycle of insurance companies who cover the patients they serve. You’ll see AmerisourceBergen’s own guidance is for pharmacies to limit the amount of inventory they have on hand at any given time so they will have enough free capital to run and invest in their business while avoiding waste: http://www.knowledgedriven.com/articles/pharmacies/taking-stock-inventory-management-best-practices-for-community-pharmacies.aspx#.Wf8XCxNSxAY.

We’ve shared this with many media outlets before, but I’ll also note that AmerisourceBergen does not manufacturer, market or take any action to drive demand of opioid-based medicines. Our perspective on the role we play in the supply chain is available here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/surprising-morality-opioid-distribution-steve-collis/?trk=mp-reader-card.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabe Weissman

AmerisourceBergen

Group Vice President, Communications

www.amerisourcebergen.com

From: Rich Jones rich {at} pubmail.io
Date: November 4, 2017 at 9:30:06 PM EDT
To: "Mattox, Keri" KMattox {at} amerisourcebergen.com

Hi Keri, my name is Rich Jones, I'm a reporter looking for confirmation that AmerisourceBergen has recently adopted a change in policy with regards to commissions given to salespeople - specifically that commissions will no longer be given for opioid drugs.

Can you confirm that a) commissions were paid out for these opioid sales previously and that b) these commissions will no longer be paid out?

I'd particularly appreciate a response by the end of Monday.

Thanks very much,
Rich Jones

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain privileged and/or confidential information and is intended only for the review of the party to whom it is addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately return it to the sender, delete it and destroy it without reading it. Unintended transmission shall not constitute the waiver of the attorney-client or any other privilege.

To: prvs=476244d9a=GWeissman {at} amerisourcebergen.com
From: Rich Jones <rich {at} pubmail.io>
On: Nov. 6, 2017, 10:12 a.m.

Thanks for your quick reply, Gabe!

Can you give me some clarification about how much this "very small fraction of our revenue" actually adds up to? What fraction are we talking about, and what's the magnitude of this figure? Can you share some numbers about sales commissions before and after this policy change?

Thanks,
Rich